Thursday, April 8, 2010

Unit Ten: I am Victorious

1.Review your unit 3 personal assessment of your psychological, physical, and spiritual well-being. Reflect on these areas . How did you score yourself on a scale from 1 to 10 in unit 3? How do you score yourself now? Has the score changed? Why or why not?

In Unit 3, I scored as follows: Physical Wellness - 5, Spiritual Wellness - 9, and Psychological Wellness - 6

As I reassess how I scored myself the first time, I am a bit disappointed that I have not been more focused on taking care of myself.

Current scores:

Physical Wellness = 5

I still feel I only deserve 5 points for this area. I am not totally sedentary, but I am not as active as I need to be either. I recognize that I tend to slow down in this area of my wellness because I succumb to the stressors that are associated with work and personal matters in my life. I make excuses as to why I do not have sufficient time to exercise. I have now decided that this is one of the keys to my being more proficient in achieving wellness.

Now, as soon as I get to work, I go for a brisk 15-minute walk. This is a starting point and I will begin to build upon it. As I said before, I am going to adopt what King Julian (movie Madagascar) says "I like to move it, move it." I going to set up my workout plan on the Wii Fit.




Spiritual Wellness = 8

When I first assessed this area, I gave my spiritual well-being a 9. I still believe that God is my hiding place, my safe haven. I realize if I had been as grounded as I thought, I would not have experienced the various degrees of stress I was under at the start of this class. I just decided that I would drop back 1 point and continue to practice what I am presently doing until I have achieved that state of ultimate peace.

I begin everyday with prayer and an affirmation of gratitude toward God who I believe to be the supplier of everything that affects my day-to-day existence. Even though I put a score of 8 here, I know that this is a "one-day-at-a-time" achievement.

Psychological Wellness = 6

Even though a six is not the top rung of the ladder, my points have risen from a 4 in this area. I have put into practice being intentional in my thoughts, so that fear and anger do not rule my behavior. I practice more positive thoughts so that I can eliminate the negativity that tries to pervade my mind.  

 2. Review the goals and activities you set for yourself in each area. Have you made progress toward the goals? Explain.

My goals are beginning to shape up. As I discussed under the physical I have begun to walk again. Psychologically I have started to put some of the exercise into practice. I intentionally keep my mind under subjection and I have learned to not succumb to the negative noises that want to rule my mind.

3. Have you implemented the activities you chose for your well-being in each of the three areas? Explain.

Yes I have started to walk and will put a program into my Wii fit in the next week or so. Psychological and spiritual are just ongoing practices.

4. Summarize your personal experience throughout this course. Have you developed improved well-being? What has been rewarding? What has been difficult? How will this experience improve your ability to assist others?

This following sums up what I have gained. I am aware that my physical, spiritual and psychological are interconnected. If one is not stellar then they are all in jeopardy. I have made tremendous gains and I am very pleased. This class has placed tools in my life that are invaluable.

2 comments:

  1. What a great video!! I love that movie. I think I have watched it like a million times because of my son. It is good that you know what areas you need to work on and the things you need to do to meet those goals. I think we will all get to a place were most of the aspects of our lives are equal. But we must know that once we reach that level we must continue to work if we want to sustain what we have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your assessment. We have ideas, but sometimes they take time to implement and it may not be the right time. Great job on raising your score from a 4 to a 6. Little steps are all you need!

    ReplyDelete