Friday, March 12, 2010

Unit Six: Getting to Know My Neighbor

When I closed my eyes and tried the universal Loving Kindness exercise, I began to realize that we are all linked together and not that different. We all have some of the same stressors and Life can be disconcerting. It does not play favorites. This week during the Federal Review of our Head Start program, it became clear to me that many of my co-workers, with me included, could benefit from this exercise.

May all individuals gain freedom from suffering.
May all individuals find sustained health, happiness, and wholeness.
May I assist all individuals in gaining freedom from suffering.
May I assist all individuals in finding health, happiness, and wholeness.


It starts by affirming that all individuals are significant and need to be considered. Then it reminds us that we, as individuals, are also deserving. Most of us segregate ourselves from our fellowman. We do not know much about each other because we are not married to the ideas espoused above.

Today's general opinion seems to be if it doesn't affect me it is not important. When people talk we do not really listen. When they are in conflict of spirit or emotional turmoil we do not genuinely empathize or try to provide comfort. My classmates are of high caliber because they have sympathized with me and they have encouraged me. They have already been enhanced by what we are learning here.

As this week's reading suggests, when we begin to practice universal loving kindness, we will begin to open and up toward others. With sincere concern and caring, we will embrace what concerns others and not just ourselves. As of this moment my concern for others health, happiness and wholeness helps me to strive toward finishing my courses with excellence and put my new found knowledge to good use.

As I ponder my personal development, I am trying to incorporate strategies that will help me to be consistent in achieving my personal goals. I am having difficulty choosing a specific one--fitness, nutrition, and self-regulation. I am wanting in all of the areas and I believe one area feeds the other.

I am a visual beast, so I will need to establish a list that will set up time management techniques. I will develop a plan under each of these areas to help me stay on track. I am ready to live a life of wholeness, so I am open to growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment